Halloween (a.k.a The Day Before College Deadlines)


   I am so grateful that I worked and submitted my college essays early. Last night, some of my friends were stressing out because Common App crashed. I expected that that would happen. I submitted my Stanford Application last week and my UT application this past weekend. All I need are my transcripts and letters of recommendation to complete my apps.

   So, I changed my college list a bit. I replaced Dartmouth and Trinity with Boston University and Northeastern University. I talked with a college counselor last Friday, and she recommended some schools in Boston because I told her that I wanted to double major in computer science and statistics. Boston University has generous scholarships. Because I am a National Hispanic Recognition Scholar, I am qualified for the Presidential Scholarship, which is $20,000. There is another scholarship called the Trustee Scholarship, which is also $20,000. I have to write an extended argument over one of three topics. I chose
The German poet Johann Wolfgang von Goethe wrote: “One cannot escape the world more certainly than through art, and one cannot bind oneself to it more certainly than through art.” With extended reference to one novel, poem, play, piece of music, or work of art, please discuss what you believe this sentence to mean.

I am planning on writing about a piece of music. I have a few choices in mind: Strauss's tone poems, Shostakovich's Eighth Symphony, Strauss's Alpine Symphony, or Berlioz's Symphonie Fantastique. In order to qualify for that scholarship, I have to submit my entire application by December 1. I need to finish that essay, the general Boston University supplement, and the Kilachand Honors college essay.

   I continued to research more about Boston University. I am almost done with my "Why Boston University" supplement. Taking a break from writing, I researched more about Strauss's tone poems, looking at the context in which they were composed.

Comments