Scholarships and Orchestra


   I began working on my UT scholarship. The Forty Acres scholarship is a full-ride merit scholarship. They prompt is about what I can contribute to that scholar community and how could they impact me. I am going to answer it based on my answer in the Stanford interview.

   Good news. I received a full-tuition scholarship from UTD and a $1000 stipend for books and supplies. It is the Academic Excellence with Distinction scholarship. If you make a certain GPA, SAT, and ACT score, you win the scholarship.

   I may also have a chance of getting a full-ride from Boston University. I submitted my application last week, but I don't find out until late March if I made it in or not. Other universities I'm applying to either do not have merit scholarships or they are automatic ones. University of Chicago, Carnegie Mellon, Rice, and Northeastern are automatic. Stanford is the only school where it has only need-based.

   Unfortunately, in the middle of class, the wifi stopped working. It is hard to type on a phone, so I just reviewed some of my other college essays and looked more into the orchestra programs at the schools I'm applying to. Stanford has a symphony orchestra and a philharmonic orchestra. The former is over 100 members and the latter is about 50. The philharmonic specializes in Baroque pieces because of its small size. It is a ten minute audition, including scales, sightreading, and an excerpt of a piece I've worked on. There is also a concerto competition, where the winner gets to perform with the orchestra. I'm preparing for a similar competition in April. I will perform the Elgar cello concerto. If I Choose to enroll at Stanford, I may do the same solo. I'll try to learn another one.

   University of Chicago has two orchestras: symphony and chamber. For the audition, they recommend playing contrasting pieces. I also have to sightread an orchestral excerpt and possibly play a scale. They also have an orchestra pit for musical theater performances. I think it would be a cool experience to perform alongside a show. I've never done that before.

   Now the wifi is working. I can finally type on a computer. I continued to write my Forty Acres essay.

Comments