Breakthrough Junior Challenge Scholarship


   Today is a college day in Thesis class, and I wrote 5 short answers for the Breakthrough Junior Challenge. I have to create a video explaining a challenging concept in physics, life sciences, and mathematics. I chose to explain Occam's Razor. I would tell you what that is in this post, but I need the views for a future round in the competition. You will have to watch my video. You know what, I change my mind. I'll explain it in this blog post. Occam's Razor is a heuristic that when choosing between two hypotheses, you should choose the one with the least assumptions or variables. It does not always work because more complex hypotheses can do a better job at explaining an idea or phenomenon than  simpler hypotheses.

    One of the short answer questions is "how would your school benefit from this [new, state-of-the-art] science lab." That is one of the prizes of this competition, aside from the college scholarship and the teacher's prize money. I hope I win. I really want my school to enjoy this lab.

   The next short answer prompt is "which area of science would you like to pursue in the future and why." I wrote about how I would like to pursue machine learning and become a data scientist.

   The third answer prompt asks why I chose the topic I did and what inspired my video.

   Now I have to write two more answers.

Comments