Alpine Symphony Success

 
   I spent thesis polishing up my excerpts. I am really proud of myself because I finally mastered two hard excerpts from the Alpine Symphony and brought up to tempo. I don't understand why the tempo (the speed that the piece is supposed to be played) is so fast because the recordings don't play them that fast. Regardless, I have to play as close to that tempo as I can while maintaining the style and musicality of the pieces.

   The Alpine Symphony is played with a very large full orchestra. If I remember correctly, I think there are supposed to be 100 members! The cello excerpts from both the Symphony Metamorphosis and the Alpine Symphony are played alongside the lower brass section. That means that the rhythm needs to be snappy and I need to be heard. It really helped me to pinpoint where my excerpts fall within the pieces so that I know how I am supposed to play them. I don't have much experience playing with a symphony orchestra because I've mainly played in string orchestras. This will be a cool experience for me to have.

   Last Thursday, I had a mock audition, where I recorded my excerpts and etudes in a random order my teacher assigned. In short, I did not do as well as I hoped because I was nervous and rushed through the pieces. Rushing detracts from the clarity and style of the piece. You might find this interesting, but my teacher gave me an exercise to cope with the nerves. Literally. I had to run around the parking lot, run back up the stairs, and perform an excerpt at the actual tempo and how I wanted it to sound. It worked. I learned how to control my racing heart and breathlessness (I need to work out more). Mental calmness is important in performances, but hardly many students practice that skill. You can learn all the notes and rhythms and interpretations, but if you get nervous to the point of not playing well, then that is a very frustrating experience. I've heard some of my friends mess up auditions because they did not realize the difference between playing in a bedroom by themselves and playing in an audition room with a judge.

   TMEA releases the recording cuts on Friday at 10 a.m. I hope all goes well!

 

Comments