Back to College


   Deviating from my previous thesis days, I decided to stay in class to work on college applications. I have a deadline next week on November 1. I applying to Stanford restrictive early action and to the University of Texas at Austin priority deadline. I already finished my Stanford application. I just need to finish my UT supplements.

   My first goal was to finish the last short answer question for UT. It was the leadership prompt. I decided to talk about my leadership at my job. Hopefully, I can send it out today or tomorrow, so that I can fill out my honors application before this weekend. I am pretty sure that ApplyTexas and Common App will crash because of the number of last minute apps being submitted. I know that they take in applicants for the Polymathic honors program from both deadlines (Nov 1 and Dec 1), but it is a relatively new, small program, so I want to increase my chances of acceptance.

   Second, I reviewed over my Stanford application.  I checked my personal statement, general profile questions, and supplements for this school. I could send it out right now, but I'm so nervous! I think I'm being overly obsessive because I am rereading my application so many times that I think I have it almost memorized at this point. If you're wondering, I was this nervous when I submitted my UTD application back in August. The difference is that UTD sent me a response within a couple days; Stanford will send me a response on December 15.

   I began planning my Personal Perspective long essay for Rice University. I have to write a 500-word essay explaining what unique perspective I can bring to the campus. The hard part is deciding what to say; I have a few perspectives I can bring. Do I talk about all of them? Do I pick one? After doing some research online, I think it is acceptable to talk about multiple perspectives. That makes me feel better.

   I just realized something: I have finished 7 colleges' supplements so far. I am applying to 9. I have been more proactive that I thought these past few months. I need to finish Rice and Tulane. I have time because I am applying to both of them regular decision. Tulane has the optional "Why Tulane" supplement that is not really optional. Rice has the extracurricular supplement, "Why Rice?", "Why this program?", and the Personal Perspective essays. I already finished the extracurricular one because I am reusing that one from my other applications. That saved me time.

Comments